Thursday, September 10, 2009

Feeling icky

So I started feeling pretty lousy after I got home last night. Feels like a head cold is coming on, but I'm pretty sure that it's mostly to do with all the cigarette smoke I've been exposed to over the past week. The bars were full of smoke in Madrid, and my roommate's boyfriend smokes everytime he comes over. He was here for several hours today and I'm pretty sure he went through an entire pack.

When I signed on to live with Leslie, her profile said that she was a non-smoker, which is true, but it didn't mention anything about her having a boyfriend who smokes. I'm not sure how to address the situation, because this is her home, and I'm just a tenant. However, I'm paying quite a bit to live here, and it was my understanding that I would be living in a smoke-free environment. Hopefully we're able to come to some sort of agreement, as I really can't handle my head feeling like it's going to explode like it does right now.

I really didn't do anything all that interesting today. I walked around Nantes again, and I'm getting a much better sense of direction. I essentially live at the main intersection of town, so as long as I can find a tramline, it's easy to navigate. They were having an end-of-summer carnival, so I walked through, and it was the same thing that every town in the US has with the rides that pop out of trailers and the annoying people who want you to play games that you can't possibly win.

I also discovered that the younger crowd in Nantes really likes to dress up in silly costumes. Ivan said that it's a bachelor/bachelorette party type of event, and if that's the case, there were a lot of engaged people going around today. A few girls were dressed up as smurfs and handing out candy, while another group was dressed up as pirates and playing in a fountain. Another group covered themselves in garbage bags and duct taped themselves to each other. So odd. Makes for good pictures though.



Went grocery shopping so I don't have to spend as much on going out to eat. I had a good breakfast, lunch and dinner, all for less than 15 euros.

I'm really looking forward to school starting up next week, as I want to meet my classmates so I have more people to do things with. Ivan has been great, but he just left for Germany and won't be back until the end of next week. Bummer.

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow. Maybe go to a couple museums or find a big shopping area called Atlantis. They have an IKEA, where I could easily kill an hour, as well as a lot of clothing stores (not that I'm planning to buy anything). Guess I'll just play it by ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment